The programme, delivered in partnership with the US-UK Fulbright Commission, is centred on exploring US study, with a one week visit to the US and introductory events and application support in the UK before and after. To apply to the Sutton Trust US Programme, each applicant must complete and submit the student application form and ask their school to complete a reference form to help us assess the student’s suitability for the programme.
Both the student and school forms are based on the US Common Application, an admissions application used by over 500 American institutions. By using an application modelled on the Common Application, we will be able to follow the holistic model of admissions employed by American universities and gain a full view of your child’s academic performance, successes both inside and outside of the classroom and ability to make the most of this programme. We also hope that students and schools will get in the mind-set of US admissions and be able to re-use components of our application on American university applications next autumn saving you time.
Resources for Parents/Guardians
We understand that parents/guardians of programme participants may not have experience of the US admissions process, so we aim to provide support and guidance from the beginning of the programme:
- Parent/Guardians Information Session, Sunday, 14 April 2019 (in-person session in the UK)
- If your child is selected as a finalist to attend the April Introductory Residential, we will also invite parents to attend a Parent Information Session on Sunday afternoon in the UK, to give more information on the programme, US university admissions and your role in this process.
- Parent Pack (print resource)
- We understand not all parents will be able to travel to the information session, so at the April residential we provide a printed Parent Pack of information for each family.
- Parent Information Session Webinar (online)
- We will host a live online Parent Information Session webinar (date TBC) to give more information on the programme, US university admissions and your role in this process. There will be a Q&A with programme staff as part of this, and the webinar recording will be sent out to all parents.
More information will be provided if your child is selected for the programme. This includes in-depth information on the one week visit to the US, as well as US admissions and financial aid processes if your child chooses to apply to US universities in the autumn.
“From our daughter firstly introducing us to Sutton Trust/ US-UK Fulbright Commission, and then the programme, applying, then the initial parent introductory event in London last year, it all did not seem possible. But then for her to be selected for the programme and go on to participate in a US Summer School at Harvard and visiting other US universities, and now for her to actually be accepted at her top choice university- wow, just wow!”
– Parent of Cohort 3 (2014) Student
“Thank you so much for all of the help and support given to our son over the last year. Your organisation is truly remarkable. It has enabled him to go to new heights with his university applications. Our son is just an ordinary boy with an ordinary background and up-bringing. He has so many more doors opened to him and we can never say thank you enough for this amazing opportunity that you have given him, which we couldn’t have been able to afford.”
– Parent of Cohort 4 (2015) Student
“Thank you for providing our son with the most amazing trip. As I saw him come through arrivals at Heathrow after the US week I was overwhelmed with the happiness on his face as well as the amazing camaraderie amongst his fellow peers. You guys really, really have made his dream a reality. Your hard work, dedication and continued support is just amazing, you all really do make a difference to these young adults.
Words cannot fully convey how very, very grateful we both are for your time, commitment, guidance and support. Without you, the opportunity for him to apply to US universities would never have happened. I want to shout from the rooftops about your brilliant programme and the dedication you give to all the students. I want the world to know of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I am so very proud of my son and what you have allowed him to achieve.”
– Parent of Cohort 4 (2015) Student