Do you meet our eligibility requirements?
Are you interested in experience US university life and learning more about undergraduate study in the US?
Are you available to participate in the full programme?
If you answered yes to all three questions, we hope you will apply for the Sutton Trust’s US Programme!
Steps to Apply:
- Go to ‘Apply Now’ under the Apply tab in the menu, create your online account and you are ready to begin your online application!
- Choose a school referee and send this person information on how they will complete your school reference (details are under the ‘School Reference’ tab of your online application). Their reference is due to be submitted online two days after your student deadline.
- Only submitted online applications with completed school references will be considered
- The Student application deadline is 11:59 pm on Sunday 22 January 2017. The school reference deadline is 11:59 pm on Tuesday 24 January 2017.
To apply for the Sutton Trust US Programme, students must complete and submit an online application (please see the Apply page). After confirming they meet the eligibility criteria, students will register and create their online account. After that, applicants can log in and out and complete the application in their own time before the deadline of 11:59 pm on Sunday 22 January 2017.
The application will ask questions on:
- Academic Profile
- Passport & Visa Information
- Family & Financial Background Information
- Extra-curricular Activities
Applicants are also required to complete five short essays, each with a word limit of 150 words. They also help us get to know them better by submitting a video interview. Full details of these can be found within the online application.
An application to the programme is incomplete without the supporting School Reference from a teacher at your current school. Within the online application, you will submit your chosen referee’s name and contact information, and an invitation email will be sent out to your referee. On receipt of this, they will create a separate login and complete and submit the School Reference form by their deadline of 11:59 pm on Tuesday 24 January 2017. Students will receive a notification email when the school reference has been fully submitted. Please visit the Information for School Referees page for more guidance.
Note: Students must speak with their teacher and they must confirm they are able and willing to submit this reference on their behalf before inviting them to their application form. Students must make sure their teacher has no issues in receiving their invitation and beginning their reference before they submit their student application, as there is no option to change the referee after the application is submitted.
Both the student and school forms are based on the US Common Application, an admissions application used by over 500 American institutions. In doing this, we are able to follow the holistic model of admissions employed by American universities and gain a full view of the student’s academic performance, successes both inside and outside of the classroom and ability to make the most of this programme.
Application Timeline (2016-17):
- November 2016 - Applications open
- 11:59 pm, Sunday 22 January 2017 – Student Application deadline
- 11:59 pm, Tuesday 24 January 2017 - School Reference deadline
- Mid-March 2017 - Applicants notified and selected finalists invited to attend the introductory residential.
- 9 – 12 April 2017 – Finalist and Introductory Residential
- Mid-April 2017 – After the Finalist Residential, participants will be notified if they have been selected to receive a place on the US Programme 2017.
Follow updates on Twitter #SuttonTrustUSA